You will learn how to bake potatoes in the oven using all the best tips and tricks. This classic side dish can be customized with your favorite toppings, such as butter, cheese, chives, or bacon. This foolproof baked potato recipe gives you a crispy exterior and fluffy interior. These potatoes are great with steak, grilled chicken, and meatloaf.
How To Make Baked Potatoes?
It sounds easy to make a baked potato in an oven. You’ll understand why baking potatoes always turns out perfect if you’ve tried a crispy, under-baked potato or a mushy, soggy version.
A perfectly cooked potato should have a crisp exterior, but not too charred, and a soft, fluffy interior. This easy baked potato in the oven recipe will give you the results you want.
The Best Potato For A Baked Potato In Oven
Russet potatoes, also known as “Idaho potatoes”, make the best-baked potatoes. The potatoes’ thick skin makes them crispy and delicious in the oven. The high starch content in Russets creates a fluffy, dry interior.
What Is The Best Temperature For Baked Potatoes?
You can bake potatoes at any oven temperature, from 350degF up to 450degF and everything in between. This gives potatoes crisp skin and a dry, fluffy interior.
Should I Wrap The Potatoes In Foil?
You do not have to wrap potatoes in foil. To get that crispy exterior, let the potato’s skin dry in the oven. The foil traps moisture and steam, creating soft skin.
Baked Potato Ingredients
Here’s a quick overview of the ingredients you will need to make the best-baked potato recipe.
Russet potatoes: These potatoes are high in starch and have a fluffy, dry interior when baked.
Warm water and kosher salt: Salt water is used to dip the potatoes before baking. This gives the skin a great flavor and helps them dry out.
Vegetable oil: After the potatoes are baked, oil should be applied to the skins. The oil will crispen the skin and prevent charring.
How To Bake A Potato?
This guide will show you how to make the perfect potato bake.
- Prepare Potatoes. Clean the potatoes and dry them. You can poke holes with a fork in 3-4 different spots around each potato.
- Dip in Salt Water. Mix the salt and warm water, then dip each potato into the salt water. Place the potato on a wire rack on top of a baking sheet.
- Bake. Bake potatoes in a 350degF oven for 45 minutes to an hour, depending on how large your potatoes are.
- Oil the Potatoes. Continue baking for 10 minutes. This allows the skin to become crispy in the oven.
- Add your favorite toppings.
Baked Potato Toppings
Do you love a baked potato loaded with toppings? These toppings are delicious!
- Salt and pepper
- Sour cream
- Crispy bacon chopped
- Grated cheddar cheese
- Fresh chives, fresh parsley, or thinly sliced green onion can be chopped and chopped.
- Chili, and cheese
- Taco meat, seasoned beans, Guacamole, and sour cream.